Carbon monoxide exposure is a serious health risk for you, your pets and anyone in your family. While carbon monoxide poisoning can happen anytime, it’s a more common occurrence in the cold winter months.

Below are three major ways that carbon monoxide exposure can happen. The more information you have, the easier it will be to avoid potentially dangerous situations.

 

  1. Misuse of Outdoor Heaters

Your camping stove and outdoor heater may appear to function in the same way as those that are rated for indoor use, but this is a dangerous misconception. Outdoor heaters, camping stoves and other similar appliances do not have any proper way to vent the fumes to the outside, and this can lead to a buildup of carbon monoxide inside of your home.

If you have indoor kerosene heaters, or your home runs on gas heat, be sure to have your furnaces checked by Kamloops experts to ensure that everything is in good repair.

 

  1. Improperly Vented Garage or Fireplace

A fireplace in your Kamloops home is a great alternative to expensive central heating, but you should be sure that you have it cleaned and inspected each year before you start using it. It’s important to keep the chimney and flue clean, and you should have a professional look it over to make sure that fires will ventilate correctly.

Another major risk factor for carbon monoxide exposure is an enclosed garage. It’s a common practice to warm up your car before leaving home, especially when it’s cold outside. However, exhaust fumes are a major source of carbon monoxide, and if there is no ventilation in your garage, dangerously high levels of it can accumulate in the garage and even seep into the house.

Even if you have the garage door open, experts such as the Mayo Clinic caution that you should never leave a car running in an attached garage.

 

  1. Carelessness With Solvents

Certain solvents can break down into carbon monoxide when they are inhaled. This is why plumbing and heating professionals in Kamloops always stress how important proper ventilation is when you’re remodeling. The fumes from paints, sealants and wood varnish can all increase your risk of serious carbon monoxide exposure, so be sure to follow all of the instructions on these items carefully.

 

Let Us Keep You Safe

If you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide exposure in your home, our staff is much more than just your local Kamloops air conditioning experts. At Johnson Walsh Plumbing and Heating, we are committed to making your home a safe and comfortable environment for your family.

We can help!

Contact us today to learn how we can assist you with replacing the required parts in relation to this recall.

 

921 Laval Crescent, Kamloops, BC V2C 4A8

Service Calls available from 7:30am – 5:00pm

Open from:
Mon-Fri: 9:30am – 4:30pm
Saturdays: 10:00am – 2:00pm • Sundays: Closed

info@johnsonwalsh.com
250-374-1822

Contact Us